The Skin Cancer Foundation Journal

MAY 2014

The 2012 edition of The Skin Cancer Foundation Journal features medically reviewed, reader-friendly articles such as tanning, the increasing incidence of skin cancer diagnoses among young women, & the prevalence of melanoma among white males over 50.

Issue link: https://skincancer.epubxp.com/i/319518

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 39 of 103

I magine walking in the intense summer sun dressed in black pants and a black long-sleeved shirt. Can you almost feel the sweat? But what if this outf t, instead of making you hotter, actually cooled you down, while also giving you peak protection from the sun's damaging ultraviolet (UV) rays? Sound like science fi ction? It's not. In the past few years, activewear and other apparel makers have been harnessing cutting-edge technology to produce multitasking garments that not only of er con- summate broad spectrum sun protection, but also ref ect infrared rays, wick sweat, cool the body, and ventilate – providing plenty of incentive to keep covered in the sun. Convenient and Consistent Protection Clothing is the single most ef ective form of sun protec- tion for the body. 1 It is a convenient and consistent shield: you don't have to worry about applying it properly, and no reapplication is required. It is also equally protective against the sun's ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) rays. While sunscreen is essential for areas not cov- ered with clothing (such as the face), the right garments can protect vast expanses of your body. Not all clothing of ers the same level of sun protection, though. A fabric's weave, color, weight, stretch, and f ber type all help deter- mine how well it keeps out UV light. 2 Polyester, nylon, wool, silk, and denim are especially good at stopping UV 38 S K I N C A N C E R F O U N D A T I O N J O U R N A L High-Tech Threads The new sun-safe clothing will keep you cool, calm, and protected Coolibar fashion for the entire family. On the child: Swim Skort, Surf Shirt (short- sleeved). On the man: long- sleeved Aqua T-Shirt, Beach Broadshort. On the woman: Coastline Dress and Toyo Fedora Sun Hat Lifestyle

Articles in this issue

view archives of The Skin Cancer Foundation Journal - MAY 2014